- 1643 -

Saint Honoré


In 1643, Claude Trudon became the owner of a boutique on the rue Saint-Honoré where he developed his activity as a grocer and candler. His candles were purchased to light parishes and homes. Thus, in the early days of Louis the 14th’s reign, Claude Trudon created a manufacturing company that would make his family’s fortune.

- 1714 -

Divine wax


The Manufacture used beeswax to make its candles. Its motto “Deo regique laborant” meant “They work for God and the King” (“they” being the bees). The wax is carefully harvested from the hive before being filtered, washed and exposed to sunlight in order to obtain the purest white possible.

- 1722 -

Luxurious light


The court of Louis the 15th and the kingdom’s largest parishes were seduced by the Manufacture’s perfectly white candles. Besides their immaculate color, they burned for a long time and didn’t splutter. Already true luxury…

- 1737 -

Royal Manufacturer


In 1737, his descendant Jérôme Trudon bought the Manufacture Royale des Cires (Royal Wax Manufacturer) in Antony from Seigneur Péan de Saint-Gilles. With his family’s extensive candling skills, Jérôme Trudon brilliantly developed the manufacture.

- 1762 -

Candling art


In 1762, in the Encyclopédie Raisonnée des Sciences, Arts et des Métiers (the Encyclopaedia of Reason for Science, Art and Trade), the engineer Duhamel du Monceau published an article on the Art of Candling. His text paid homage to the Trudons’ know-how, citing the Manufacture as an example.

- 1789 -

Revolution


The Manufacture supplied Versailles up to the last days of the Ancient Regime and survived through the French Revolution.

- 1811 -

Imperial candles


When Napoleon the 1st was crowned in 1811, the Manufacture supplied the imperial court. The Emperor gave his son only one present the day he was born : a Trudon pillar candle adorned with three gold coins showing Napoléon's profile, the Imperial Pillar Candle.

- 1889 -

Parisian world fair


No political or industrial revolutions ever blighted the Manufacture’s existence, it even survived the arrival of the “miracle of electricity”. In 1889, the Manufacture’s know-how was honored with a gold medal at France’s World’s Fair.

- 2007 -

Perfumed stories


In 2007, the company took the name “Cire Trudon” and became a specialist in manufacturing perfumed candles. Today it enlists well-known “noses” to create perfumes for the stories it wishes to tell. Each candle is still dripped and made by hand, perpetuating a luxury manufacturing which helps perpetuates the skills of its founder, Claude Trudon.

- 2007 -

Left Bank


The first Trudon store opened at the beginning of the 20th century in the Saint Germain-des-Prés neighborhood near Saint Sulpice church. Surrounded by a number of religious item stores, it continues to propose a broad range of scented and decorative candles.

- 2014 -

Right bank


In 2014 Trudon opened a store at 11 rue Saint Croix-de-la-Bretonnerie in the Marais, a historical and typically Parisian area. Today Trudon candles shine throughout the world.